Jason,

On 8/24/2010 2:38 PM, Jason Britton wrote:

>> The short answer is: you can't separate the components of a webapp out
>> into separate locations.
>>

> Thanks for the response P.  Understood and agreed as to the function and
> purpose of .war file.  The reasoning for the separation is that in our
> current environment we have users from 3 or so other departments accustomed
> to being able to drag html and jsp files up to our web server (good bad or
> otherwise).  With a change to tomcat as our app server, I could provide that
> same sort of access where jsp and html docs are just moved into the docBase
> directory at will by multiple individuals, but I would never be able to
> undeploy that directory without fear of losing all the jsp and html files
> they may have tossed in there.

This sounds completely insane.

You have developers changing things in a whim and no record of the
changes they're making? Consider using a revision-tracking system for
this sort of thing. There are at least two quite popular free ones: CVS
and Subversion.

Once you have a revision-tracking system, you can pull the "current"
version from the repository and nobody has to do any copying of files
into a shared location. This is generally known as a "nightly build".
Each dev works separately, and the nightly build has everything that's
been committed to the revision-tracking repository.

> I would have to resort to hand copying in
> class file/config and lib changes into the WEB-INF so as not to risk losing
> any content files on a redeployment.

This also sounds completely insane.

You need to have a sane deployment process. Generally, when developing a
web application, you can feel free to have all your .java files, .jsps,
static content, etc. scattered all over the place. Once it's time to
deploy, though, it's time to sew everything up into a WAR (whether it's
actually a .war file or just on the disk with the same directory/file
structure). I highly recommend using Apache ant for this sort of thing:
there's a <war> "command" that you can use where you can specify all the
places where source files should come from. Boom: instant .war file.

> We rigged our current application server (Oracle OAS 10.1.3.4) to allow this
> separation of content from configuration/classes/lib but that is neither
> here nor there.

Exactly. That is completely independent of the servlet specification,
and therefore vendor-specific.

I'd be happy to share some ant scripts and suggestions for development
directory structure if you'd like.