I'll put tomcat 7 on our dev environment and have a go at it.  I'm
excited about the alias functionality, thanks so much for pointing it
out Mark, from the 7.0 docs:

"aliases" attribute of the context element:

This attribute provides a list of external locations from which to
load resources for this context. The list of aliases should be of the
form "/aliasPath1=docBase1,/aliasPath2=docBase2" where aliasPathN must
include a leading '/' and docBaseN must be an absolute path to either
a .war file or a directory.

A resource will be searched for in the first docBaseN for which
aliasPathN is a leading path segment of the resource. If there is no
such alias, then the resource will be searched in the usual way.

Using '/' as an aliasPath is not allowed. Consider using docBase instead.

**These external locations will not be emptied if the context is un-deployed.**