Hi,

what is the best practice to replace a webapp with a newer version in
production?

I'm using Tomcat 6.0.29, with unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false". All
Webapps reside in appBase, some have a machine-specific context descriptor,
that I manually copy to conf/Catalina/localhost.

I use the Tomcat Manager (via HTML-Interface) to deploy applications. What is
the recommended way to upgrade a webapp to a newer version (same war name,
same desired context path)?

The HTML manager has no "redeploy" option. "deploy" is not possible as the
context already exists. I tried to put the new war file into appBase, and use
reload, but that won't update the expanded directory to the new war file.

What I did is:
 * undeploy
 * copy new war file
 * deploy

This is cumbersome as I have to switch forth and back between manager and file
operations.

Is there a better way?

Thanks
Rainer