Sorry I don't understand what's happening.  It is working now but It
didn't work the first time I deployed to the new Tomcat instance.

I got a bunch of warnings saying not able to remove from filesystem
and checked the offending jar was in the filesystem too.  However
after shutting down tomcat deleting the offending war and exploded
webapp restarting.  I can deploy / undeploy to my hearts content.
However shutting down tomcat and stating up again brings back my
original problem.