On 19/10/2010 03:49, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Ðavîd Låndïs [mailto:dlan...@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Splitting Content Across Multiple Domains
>
>> I am considering creating another Host in my Tomcat
>> server and creating another .war file with static
>> content for that additional host. So the links to
>> static content generated by my primary application
>> will point to the domain name of this new host.
>
>> Here is an article discussing this general technique:
>> http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2007/04/11/performance-research-part-4/
>
> I think you may be wasting your time.  Have you determined that you actually
> have a performance problem, or are you fixing a non-existent problem?
>
> The cited article is over three years old, and since then all of the popular
> browsers have increased their default for the number of parallel connections
> to something larger than two - usually six.  I'd suggest just putting things
> back the way they were, so your images are automatically protected by the
> main logon.

And I'm not sure what actual performance gain you'd get from hosting it
on the same IP address.  From memory, my experience was that the
performance gain was barely detectable and only occurred when the app
was on a separate IP address.

Have you configured the Tomcat native (APR) component?  That'll give you
improved performance, if it's an issue.