On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:

> And I'm not sure what actual performance gain you'd get from hosting it
> on the same IP address.  From memory, my experience was that the
> performance gain was barely detectable and only occurred when the app
> was on a separate IP address.

Hmm, interesting. I think in theory at least it shouldn't matter if
it's on the same IP unless the increased load offset any gains made
with the parallelization of the downloads. In any case once I had
everything split up I think then it would be easy to add more IP's
into the mix as needed.

Also I did find a newer article from Google that recommends this technique:

http://code.google.com/intl/en/speed/page-speed/docs/rtt.html#ParallelizeDownloads

"If your pages serve large numbers of static resources, such as
images, from a single hostname, consider splitting them across
multiple hostnames using DNS aliases. We recommend this technique for
any page that serves more than 10 resources from a single host."

But yes your point is taken that probably there are more important
optimizations to make at this point.

> Have you configured the Tomcat native (APR) component?  That'll give you
> improved performance, if it's an issue.

That is on my very short list of things to do, thanks.