I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I could not find the
question in this list.

My client makes what I call long running servlet request. By that what I
mean is that the client makes a servlet request and the server keeps the
ServletOutputStream open for a long time. I use this connection so that the
server can send periodic data down to the client. This has been working
quite well. I did not need for the client to send additional data after the
initial servlet request so I was closing its output stream after I made the
request and the servlet did not use its corresponding ServletInputStream.
Any new data from the client to the server was sent over a new "short"
servlet request.

Now I have the need for the client to send some additional data to the
server, and I would really prefer to send the data over the same connection
to the long running servlet. I changed my request code to keep the output
stream open and send data over it. I get no error doing this. But on the
server side, the long running servlet tries to read the ServletInputStream
and it does not get any data.

What am I doing wrong? Is this not supported?

Sincerely,
Tosh