Christopher Schultz wrote:

Thomas,

On 12/21/2010 2:43 AM, Thomas Kloeber wrote:
I'm not sure if Tomcat's service wrapper will fail silently or angrily
if files cannot be created. If I were you, I'd specify an exact
filename, including full path, for the "Redirect Stdout" and "Redirect
Stderr" settings, and make sure that the effective user running the
Tomcat service (TOMCAT? LOCAL_SERVICE?) has rights to write to that
file/directory.
this is exactly what I did on a previous suggestion. I replaced the
"auto" bits with "C:\tmp\stderr" and "C:\tmp\stdout". Tomcat creates the
files and writes into stdout.

Excellent.

It also creates stderr but it remains empty.

:(

That might be a bug in the service wrapper. Can you re-test with 6.0.29
and a minimal WAR file (nothing but a .jsp that prints to both stdout
and stderr should do it)? If it still fails, please file a bug in bugzilla:

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

When I set it to "auto" the files are created in the standard log
directory with the names stdout_XXX.log and stderr_XXX.log where XXX is
the date the files were created.

Sorry, I didn't catch that, earlier.

logging.properties:

Since stdout is working, swallowOutput isn't in effect, which means that
the contents of logging.properties aren't really relevant. Sorry for the
misstep on my part.

That logging.properties looks pretty stock, anyway.

And if, in the tomcat6w.exe gui, you navigate to the "Java" tab, what are the options mentioned there for the JVM ? (There might be a "-D" there which redirects the JVM stderr) (which is really the stderr you are looking for here).