Christopher Schultz wrote:

Mark,

On 1/20/2011 6:27 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
I happen, for the sake of simplicity, to be using a non-file multipart
part. Could that be confusing things?
It may well be. The parts are expected to be files (AFAICR).

The code is just a package renamed import of Commons File Upload with a
thin wrapper around it to map it to the servlet API.

A'ight. It may be ignoring non-file parts. I'll look into that.

If it *is* ignoring non-file parts, it seems like a bug to me.

It should not. I'm pretty sure that I used it before, for parsing POST's from <form enctype="multipart/form-data"> forms, including uploaded <input type="file"> items, but also normal text fields.

See here :

http://commons.apache.org/fileupload/using.html
Processing the uploaded items

It is very neat, and if browsers correctly labeled the parts with a "Content-type" header including a charset (as they are supposed to do), it would get rid of most of these silly character set issues in posted forms (and in decoding them at the server level). Unfortunately, browsers don't.

But if you were writing your own client..