On 2/8/2011 12:27 PM, Robinson, Eric wrote:
I would like to set all JVMs to -Xms=32M -Xmx=512M and let
the system
figure out how much memory each instance really needs.

That should work, at the expense of some thrashing of the
heap size as the load waxes and wanes.

As I understand it, it would actually not work because instances that
peak at 512M but then go back down to, say, 128M, would still never
return the unused memory to the OS so it can be used by other instances.
Consequently, we would get a lot of disk paging.

Have you benchmarked the new version to see how high the memory use actually gets? It might not have much real effect if it doesn't go very high.