> From: David kerber [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Is IBM Right About Java?

> I don't know, but always assumed that GC made the cleared memory
> available for the JVM to use for other things, not the OS.

Not really.  The JVM always reserves the maximum heap size as virtual space,
but does not allocate more of the heap than the current limit; the limit will
be adjusted up or down within the -Xms : -Xmx range as load dictates.  The
unused virtual space is not available for any other use.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.