So my boss has a Tomcat folder that was running a website at his old job. I
don't know how to determine the exact version but in the realease notes
there is: "$Id: RELEASE-NOTES-4.1.txt,v 1.81 2003/10/27 13:40:27 remm Exp $"
he wants to run it on a new machine, the OS is: Mac OS X Server 10.6.5

 When I do "sudo bash startup.sh" I get:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/Tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /Library/Java/Home

But when I try to go to the page "localhost:8080" or "localhost:80"

Safari says:

"Safari can’t open the page “http://function2.basiceng.umr.edu/view” because
Safari can’t find the server “function2.basiceng.umr.edu”."

When I don't run the server as sudo I get things like

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.localhost.com:80/” because the server
unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server
is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

Likewise when shutting down the server without sudo:
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/Tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/Tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /Library/Java/Home
Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
 at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:581)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
at
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

I don't mind running the server as root currently (I was just showing that
to see if that was a symptom of another problem), but I was wondering how it
can obviously find the correct previous web address but not find the server
that is running it; is it for some reason trying to go to the previous
website even though I told it to go to localhost? I tried changing all the
files in the tomcat folder to being owned by my user name but that had no
effect (that was impulsive hopefully that won't screw anything up later, let
me know if so)

I was wondering where I should start looking to resolve these problems.
Thanks.