Leon,

Is it a requirement for you to use BASIC auth?  or could you use
something like the Remote Address Filter to restrict by IP address?

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter

If you configure this valve in the restricted environment you can then
control who can access to just that environment.

Dan