@Leon : I think I misunderstood your requirement, so disregard my previous
response.

@Dan : an SSH tunnel for HTTP is a (mild) pain, because of the hostname. To make it work, you need to add an entry to your local hosts file (I assume a laptop), so that it resolves "myhost.mycompany.com" as 127.0.0.1, to connect to the local side of the tunnel.

@Leon (trying to do better this time) : I presume that you have a separate Tomcat server (or instance) for staging. If so, the easiest solution would be to leave the production one as it is, and your app as it is, and put an apache httpd front-end before only the staging Tomcat, and only for external accesses. The filtering/authentication would happen on the front-end, and it would only pass the external requests to the back-end staging Tomcat if the access conditions are met. Internal accesses can still go to the staging Tomcat directly, and access the app without authentication. That should be easy to set up, easy being a function of how easily you can set up this Apache front-end with a separate hostname on the Internet, and allow it to proxy-pass requests to your internal Tomcat staging server. As you probably do not have a plethora of external staging user-ids, the type of authentication setup could be very simple (basic auth, file-based). If basic auth is too insecure, you can run the browser/front-end part over HTTPS, still without changing anything on Tomcat.

Daniel Mikusa wrote:
Leon,

One possible way to work around this would be to use an SSH tunnel or a
VPN (like OpenVPN) to access your network from the remote locations.

Dan