I run Windows 7.
I just downloaded Tomcat 6.0.26 from the archives, using this zip file:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.26/bin/apache-tomcat-6.0.26-windows-x64.zip
I have the 64 bit Java sdk installed: jdk-6u29-windows-x64.exe  JAVA_HOME
environment variable is set.

When I issue from the command line:

service install Tomcat6

... the service is created but not started.  When I start the service and view
http://localhost:8080 I get the Tomcat welcome page.

Perhaps you could try removing the windows service using:

service remove Tomcat6

and then try the install command a second time?

Leo