André,

On 22.11.2011 20:31, André Warnier wrote:
The reason I'm asking is that for testing some unrelated Java software,
I am being asked to install Java 7 on a system on which currently
happily runs Tomcat 6.x with Java 6 (Oracle), and I'd like to know if I
would be setting myself up for some incompatibility issues there.

Tomcat seems to be running just fine with Java 7. However, keep in mind that you will also need to test your web applications for compatibility.

For instance, Nexus (Maven repository manager) won't work with Java 7 [1].

-Ognjen

[1] https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-4437