________________________________
 From: Blaxton <blaxx...@yahoo.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:19:00 PM
Subject: Re: MVC or Model2 with Tomcat

________________________________
 From: Pid * <p...@pidster.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:12:40 PM

<snip>

On 6 Dec 2011, at 15:52, Blaxton <blaxx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have added the host directive to
 server.xml and moved appexmp1 contents to ROOT directory
> and now I can access www.mydomain.com/index.jsp with no problem,
> however now the servlets are not working.
> I can access jsp files, but no servlets, I get "The requested resource is not
> available" message.
>
> as with following direction:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html#context.xml_-_approach__1
>
> I have created /Catalina_BASE/appexmp1/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml

Ok, please remove the comments from your server.xml and post it inline, here.

> I have placed a HelloWorld.class file in
> /Catalina_BASE/appname/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/com/mydomain
> but can't access the class through mydomain.com/app1/HelloWorld

How have you defined the Servlet in
 ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml?

> tried following context file variations but didn't work:
>
> <Context path="/app1" docBase="." debug="0" reloadable="true"
> crossContext="true">
> </Context>

Never do the above.

> <Context path="/app1" docBase="ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true"
> crossContext="true">
> </Context>

Or that.

The 'path' attribute is not applicable here - in any case it's wrong.

Remove the path and docBase attributes from the ROOT.xml file.

> it seems to me , context file is not being read after adding the host
> directive to server.xml
> either when it is in /Catalina_BASE/conf/Catalina/local host or now that it
> is in
> /Catalina_BASE/appexmp1/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml
>
> thanks for help

OK, my mistake, I had JkMount /*.jsp and /app1/* rather than JkMount /* in
httpd-vhost.com
changed it as you mentioned to JkMount /* and servlets works now.

Also removed path and docbase from context.xml
so we can't have default application in ROOT and path in context file ?

haven't tried it , but I think we could achieve the same thing with JkAutoAlias
which one is recommended ? JkAutoAlias or adding host directive in server.xml ?

Thank you very much for help
I achieved what i was looking for.

Sorry but there is one more problem.

now that I have JkMount /* in vhost1_httpd.conf
every thing will be forwarded to tomcat other than *.html because there is
a JkUnMount /*.html line in vhost1_httpd.conf but still when I browse
mydomain.com/ I get the tomcat error
"The requested resource() is not available".
why is that ?

I have added welcome directive to web.xml as follow:
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

and following is DirectoryIndex in vhost1_httpd.conf file:
DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.php

I can access mydomain.com/index.html
but getting error when accessing mydomain.com/

Thanks