Aitor,

(Marking OT because this has nothing to do with Tomcat or even with
the original thread. I may be feeding a troll, here. Apologies in
advance.)

On 12/16/11 4:31 AM, Aitor Garcia | Tempel.es wrote:
> I'm not an expert but in past I worked a with MVC, Swing and JAVA:
> Cool stuff, but I never have seen how it helps in the web
> development.

MVS is an architectural design suggestion, and it applies pretty much
everywhere. I can show you how how MVC pattern can be applied to a
variety of tasks from writing a compiler to writing scripting engine
and GUI to control turbine-engine test beds.

Swing doesn't help you in web development, but if you've written your
Swing-based apps properly, then replacing the Swing front-end with a
web-based one should require only the replacement of the interface
code: no migration of JDBC calls, etc.

> Java turned into the web, makes huge amount of writing (the exact
> formula is : lines_of_JSP_code = lines_of_PHP_code * 10) & no way
> to fit objects/classes, into Web Application needs.

That's funny... when I write PHP, I long for Java. I'm kind of a
stickler for proper resource management, and having to check every
single db_query(...) call for an error code, then clean-up all the
statements I've executed and results I've fetched, then close the
connection and repeat the same code over and over and over again seems
like a waste of typing.

As for "[fitting] objects/classes into Web Application needs", I
suspect that you haven't really made the leap from procedural
programming into object-oriented programming. I'm not suggesting that
one is better than the other -- just that there really is a completely
different mindset when writing with objects in mind. I used to get
irritated when everyone used the term "paradigm shift" to describe it,
so I won't use that term, here. Damn.

> Have you seen Hashes in PHP?

Yes, the syntax is charming.

> try to use them in java... Ehhh and don't put an Integer into a
> HashMap and try to get a String!!

This is the difference between strongly-typed and loosely-typed
languages. It's another one of those things you just have to get used
to. The upside is that the runtime doesn't have to waste all it's time
trying to figure out what type everything is and convert everything on
the fly.

> You have to then Integer Values with a Try() Catch()

You're doing it wrong if you have to use try/catch to fetch values
from a hash table.

> Swith statement does not support Strings!!!...

That's right: switch only supports primitive data types. You'll have
to do things the "long" way and use a series of "if". Oh, noes.

> thinks like this fucks a lot!

I've entertained your rant long enough. Please don't use language like
this on the list. It's really not necessary. When I can't get
something working in PHP, I read the documentation and figure it out.
I don't go into a PHP-related mailing list and make a complete ass out
of myself by complaining about language features and how I hate using it.

> I'm going to read a lot of books but not about JavaServer(TM)
> (Oracle).

I hope you enjoy your Bliss.