Christopher Schultz wrote:
...>
I feel like I've got a Catch-22, here: despite the wealth of
information provided by the JVM, I think I might still have to just
have a giant list of supported time zones and hand-localize them,
especially if I want to have "America/New York"-style labels.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you not use GeoIP to find out where a user is connecting from, and select his time zone automatically for him/her ?
(Saves your conumdrum about how to display the choices)

http://www.geoip.co.uk/
Looks pretty accurate for me :

IP Address: 84.158.10.215
Country: Germany
Country code: DE
Region: 01
Longitude: 48.4667
Latitude: 8.9333
Threat Level: 0

I have not looked further, but I would not be utterly surprised if there existed already some Java servlet filter or so to get the client's timezone automatically, and stuff it into some value which you can grab.