On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Can you not use GeoIP to find out where a user is connecting from, and
> select his time zone automatically for him/her ?

You still need to offer a manual selection option, because it's just not
always accurate.

Once I was investigating geo-location services while on the road to
a show (my wife driving, me working using a Verizon MiFi hotspot).

At one point I was identified by (I think) GeoIP as being somewhere
in New Jersey, while actually in the middle of Utah on US80 -- that's
2 time zones away  :-)

Speaking to the original problem: I agree that for user-friendliness,
you might have to bite the bullet and hand-tailor the dropdown list;
however, to minimize the size *as displayed*, could you include a
JavaScript routine to examine the client time and restrict the list to
the subset that would match that time?

There's only so many TZs where it's currently e.g. 12:17pm  :-)

Just a thought.
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder