2012/2/5 Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>:
> On 2/5/2012 8:29 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>
> 2. Enable debug logging for FormAuthenticator class.
>
> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.level=FINE
>(...)
>
> I had already increased verbosity for FormAuthenticator -- nothing seemed
> amiss from what I could tell there.  It said it was restoring the original
> request from the session.  I never see anything about a POST body being
> restored, but I'm not sure if there is any logging to this effect.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Debugging
>
> Thanks.  I've got that part down.  The harder part is rebuilding pieces of
> Tomcat with full debug information (I'm assuming Tomcat is normally not
> built with local variable debug information) and finding my way through
> unfamiliar code.  But that's life :-)

build.xml:
    <javac srcdir="java" destdir="${tomcat.classes}"
           debug="${compile.debug}"
           deprecation="${compile.deprecation}"
           source="${compile.source}"
           target="${compile.target}"
           optimize="${compile.optimize}"
           excludes="**/.svn/**"
           encoding="ISO-8859-1"
           includeAntRuntime="true" >

build.properties.default:
compile.debug=true

Thus debug information should already be there.

I usually start with setting some breakpoints. In your case take a
look at FormAuthenticator#saveRequest() and #restoreRequest() methods
and where they are called from.

Building Tomcat is documented in BUILDING.txt and in webapps/docs/building.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko