I recently upgraded my Tomcat to version 7.0.26. I'm using a third party
application within Tomcat (InetSoft). All I do is place their web application
folder within the Tomcat webapps directory. Most recently, I had 7.0.23
installed and it would start up as expected. I have a process each night that
automatically restarts the services. In my web.xml, I have code that is
supposed to automatically start it up (the automated process restarts it at
11:30PM) using the load-on-startup tag.

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>replets</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.web.ServletRepository</servlet-class>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

Since the upgrade to 7.0.26, when we try to access the web app the next
morning, it is not accessible. However, the same process I use to
(automatically) restart it each evening, when I kick it off manually, I am then
able to access the web app. There is nothing different in how I am manually
kicking it off versus the automated process. I'm using the same .bat file (on
Win2003 server) and the automated process is a simple Scheduled Task.

The only difference I am seeing is that in the Catalina log, the automated
process ends with:

Mar 7, 2012 11:30:06 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol stop
INFO: Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]
Mar 7, 2012 11:30:06 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol stop
INFO: Stopping ProtocolHandler ["ajp-bio-8009"]

When I start it up manually, I see this:
Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"]
Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-bio-8009"]
Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 20377 ms

So, for some reason, the load-on-startup doesn't seem to be working properly.
Any ideas why? Is this a bug in 7.0.26?

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com<http://www.cardiacscience.com/>
Suppliers of Cardiac Science, Criticare, Unetixs, Powerheart, Burdick, and
Quinton products Part of the Opto Circuits Family