Debbie,

On 3/8/12 2:46 PM, Debbie Shapiro wrote:
> I recently upgraded my Tomcat to version 7.0.26. I'm using a third
> party application within Tomcat (InetSoft). All I do is place their
> web application folder within the Tomcat webapps directory. Most
> recently, I had 7.0.23 installed and it would start up as expected.
> I have a process each night that automatically restarts the
> services. In my web.xml, I have code that is supposed to
> automatically start it up (the automated process restarts it at
> 11:30PM) using the load-on-startup tag.
>
> <servlet> <servlet-name>replets</servlet-name>
> <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.web.ServletRepository</servlet-class>
> <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> </servlet>

So, your load-on-startup servlet somehow restarts your services? When
you say "services", do you mean it restarts Tomcat? How does it do that?

> Since the upgrade to 7.0.26, when we try to access the web app the
> next morning, it is not accessible. However, the same process I use
> to (automatically) restart it each evening, when I kick it off
> manually, I am then able to access the web app. There is nothing
> different in how I am manually kicking it off versus the automated
> process. I'm using the same .bat file (on Win2003 server) and the
> automated process is a simple Scheduled Task.

My immediate guess would be that when you run it manually, you are
logged-in as yourself, while the scheduled task runs as some other
user. Any file permission issues that might be in play?

> The only difference I am seeing is that in the Catalina log, the
> automated process ends with:
>
> Mar 7, 2012 11:30:06 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol stop
> INFO: Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"] Mar 7, 2012
> 11:30:06 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol stop INFO: Stopping
> ProtocolHandler ["ajp-bio-8009"]

That's Tomcat stopping. Is there more above that line? Perhaps some
kind of exception and/or stack trace?

> When I start it up manually, I see this: Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM
> org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start INFO: Starting
> ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-8080"] Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM
> org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start INFO: Starting
> ProtocolHandler ["ajp-bio-8009"] Mar 8, 2012 9:48:42 AM
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start INFO: Server startup in
> 20377 ms

That's Tomcat starting.

> So, for some reason, the load-on-startup doesn't seem to be
> working properly. Any ideas why? Is this a bug in 7.0.26?

I think load-on-startup isn't your problem, because Tomcat itself does
not appear to even be attempting to start (or fails to start, and
shuts down).

Try this:

1. Shut down Tomcat and remove all log files form wherever they are.
2. Start Tomcat manually.
3. Schedule a restart 2 minutes into the future.
4. Wait 2 minutes.
5. Confirm that Tomcat is *not* running (that's your complaint, right?)
6. Post back with full (sanitized if necessary) log files