Dear Tomcat community,

I am trying to resolve the problem where some client code in Java frequently
gets the following error in the logs:

        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:687)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:632)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:652)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1000)

The client code performs a simple HTTP POST request to a Tomcat server (FreeBSD
9.0-STABLE, Java 1.6.0_03, Tomcat 6.0.26). Below is the HTTP connector from
server.xml:

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="10000" enableLookups="false" compression="on"
               maxThreads="256" bufferSize="9000" />

Tracing the servlet in Tomcat shows that the servlet's doPost() method returns
normally and does not show any exceptions (I catch and log Throwable and
nothing related is logged). Tracing on an application level shows the posted
data to be in the database, as would be for a normal POST. The data is correct.

Of note is that the response time of the post is the same as for a successful
post. Under normal circumstances Tomcat processes a post in about 25ms,
measured in the client. When I get this exception, the response time is also
about that time. I think therefore that I am not timing out anywhere (or the
response time would be a lot longer).

First question: It says "Connection reset" and not "Connection reset by peer".
What is the difference between the two? I am told that one means a local reset
and the other means a remote reset. Where can I find more about this difference?

Second question: how do I analyze such resets? How do I find out who reset the
connection and why? How can I replay this in such a way that I can see that?
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkos...@kjkoster.org
+31651838192

Change is good. Granted, it is good in retrospect, but change is good.