Thanks for the reply.

So if I bundle the default servlet with my application and then configure it to
run as a different named servlet, and map static resources to it within the
webapp that should work? (I will certainly try that)

Also, all "tricks" aside, what is the proper way to address static assets
deployed within a webapplication, if pathing them to the default servlet is
inappropriate?

Forgive my ignorance but couldn't I just set this in my webapp xml descriptor,
and "rename" it, and then path to it?

Perhaps the fact that the code is loaded by the webapp class loader makes a
difference , I am not sure.  (just ruling out this possibility)

  <servlet>
        <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>debug</param-name>
            <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>