I dropped your settings into TomEE 8 here, and checked the pool for my EJB
via JMX (openejb.management -> Pool -> openejb -> <empty> -> (file path) ->
(bean) -> Attributes. It showed with a max size of 40. 1 instance pooled,
but I'd expect that to grow to the max size.

I'd suggest getting a jstack and looking for threads
with
org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:204)
in the trace, and see if you have something locked or running slowly. I'll
happily look at a jstack if you wish, but it may have some information you
don't want to post publicly (check the content of the jstack before
posting).

Jon