Played around with this a little and opened this PR:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/583. Take a look and see what you
think. I still need to do a full build and make sure I haven't
broken anything here. The theory is that is you turn the logging
on OpenEJB.resource.jdbc up to FINEST, you'll get a bunch of debug output
showing where connections are obtained from the datasource, and where they
are returned with connection.close(). If a transaction completes and the
connection has not been closed, it'll log that out, along with where the
connection was borrowed.

I wouldn't put this in production as it needs review and merging etc, as
well as being very verbose, but if you have a local copy of your
application that you can test with, it might be worth stepping through and
using it to ensure your connections are getting "closed", and returned to
the pool. From what you've indicated so far, it looks like you're leaking
connections (i.e., not calling close() on them).

Jon