Setting MaxTotal, InitialSize, MinIdle, and MaxIdle enable you to control
whether and when the pool will grow or shrink -
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html.

I'd avoid the urge to change more parameters if you can as it adds more
variables. It looks like a code change between 8.0.0-M3 and 8.0.0 makes the
difference. I'd be interested to know what change impacts it. If you had
time to do a git bisect, that would be useful to close the loop.

Jon