You are absolutely correct: lots of issues with Maven all the time and it would
be really beneficial if various "Lets Get Started" tutorials do not rely on
that and rely on Ant only to do everything they need to do.

Ideally all the libraries will come with it too, and if download size is too
big then ant's get command is here to resque.

It is less sexy than transitive dependencies resolution etc. But it is near
bulletproof and it is that doctor is ordered for tutorials. Maven is  unstable
because of widespread practice of using version ranges for dependencies and
plugins and it makes build unrepeatable because build depends on server side.
There are pro and contra arguments of course but I think that for Tutorials
there are no pro-s in Maven.

Konstantin Ignatyev

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million
tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical
rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one
hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2,700 tons of
CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263,000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:  Why the Environmental Movement Needs a
Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.  New York:  State
University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)