I have just made the changes you suggested and it seems to work. I added the metadata in response(target)

        protected void respond(AjaxRequestTarget target)
        {
                super.respond(target);
                RequestCycle.get().setMetaData(UNTOUCH_PAGE_KEY, Boolean.TRUE);
        }

Perhaps this could be incorporated into the AutoUpdateBehaviour and the metadata checked for somewhere in wicket core rather than my Page subclass.

John