Hi Doug,
It is hard to say without knowing more about your app. As a rule, I
never keep references to data in my components. Components have only
refs to services (injectable) and all the data are encapsulated by
IModels of one sort  or another. The IModels always implement
IDetachable and keep only the minumum of info necessary to rehydrate
the data. Usually, LoadableDetachableModel provides all the
functionality I need. Check to make sure you have followed these rules
of thumb. You should be ok if you have.

best,
jim