Sure, dtd = old way, xsd = new way. But sadly, there is no official XHTML 1.0
Schema to extend (yet). However, there are two candidates for the future:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1-schema/ (work in progress) and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/ (working draft). Hence, the only
way to extend xhtml right now is by means of a DTD.

-- stefan

-----
-------