> Guys I am on the same project so I can speak a bit more.  The real issue is
> that on Redhat the default max directories is something like 32K.  We ran
> out of file descriptors.  Basically for every unique session there is a
> directory created for the second level cache.

But the file handles are pooled as far as I know? Matej, do we
actually still need separate directories now that we use a page file?

> I think the real issue for us is that when a session expires the
> corresponding second level cache is not removed from disk.  This seems like
> a serious bug to me.  I have yet to see a second level cache be removed
> unless a forced session invalidate() occurs.

As far as I know, we do our best to delete those old sessions.
AbstractHttpSessionStore puts a HttpSessionBindingListener in the
user's http session when it starts so that the gets notified when
DiskPageStore#unbind gets called by the second level cache session
store and that should then take care of removing the files for that
session.

Can you debug why this isn't happening in your case?

Eelco