This is nothing about wicket - its about base security. MD5 is a hash-algorithm (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5) which is no more secure (flaw found 1996) as there are tables to reverse given md5 (from 2003 on) to a valid input

if you need security youre best with SHA at the moment, that has a greater length than the 128 Bit of MD5 and therefore more non-collision space - have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions

the implementation is available in java itself have a look at these examples here:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sha1.html
http://o9y.net/archives/2005/11/30/java-string-to-md5-hash/

Best,

Korbinian

Pills schrieb:
Hello,

I've a little question with wicket: I would like to hash my users' passwords
(with md5) to make them unreadable for a human. And I also would like to
hash them before sending them through the network (to avoid the biggest part
of security issues).

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thank you ;)