Thanks for the quick reply.  But you answer doesn't make sense to me.  Why do
loadable models work for a text field but not a drop down?  If I have "NY"
stored in the database, New York is loaded onto the form but when the form
is submitted the selected value of the drop down is not saved into the
model.  I'm trying to get the selected value stored into the Vendor object
and a String not a SelectOption.

public class Vendor implements java.io.Serializable {

        private String state;

two problems

1) loadable detachable models do not support the setobject() call,
because they are...loadable. so you should use a different kind of
model.

2) yes, selectoption object will be put into your model, dropdown
choice works like this:

DropDownChoice<T>(String id, IModel<T> model, IModel<List<T>> choices,
IChoiceRenrerer<T> renderer)

-igor