Typically the hibernate.cfg.xml is located in the root of your
packages and the configuration is loaded in the application like this:
hibernateConfig = new AnnotationConfiguration();
                        URL cfg = getClass().getResource("/hibernate.cfg.xml");
                        hibernateConfig.configure(cfg);

Your main problem is that you cannot get to the webapps directory from
within the application's classloader.

Maurice