Thanks,

That's kinda the route I've already taken.  On my site, www.startfound.com,
if you click on any company to see more details it goes to a bookmarkable
page.  Same with any tag.  Maybe if I've already got that much, I shouldn't
concern myself with the fact that page 2 of my list is not bookmarkable but
reachable by google bot.  Or maybe I should just add a noindex meta tag on
every page that's not page 1.

It'd be kinda ridiculous to require login to see past page 1.  That may be
good for SEO but it'll drive people away.