I think you miss John's point, which is that when you use a
CompoundPropertyModel for a component, all its children typically do not
reference models explicitly.

Thus you typically use an explicit model on < 30% of your components if you
have a form-heavy web-app; the other components use the implicit model
provided by the parent's CompoundPropertyModel.

Regards,

Al