1) Generifying* Wicket
   [X] Can best be done like currently in the 1.4 branch, where models
and components are both generified. I care most about the improved
static type checking generified models and components give Wicket.

2) How strongly do you feel about your choice above?
   [X] Whatever choice ultimately made, I'll happily convert/ start
using 1.4 and up.

I didn't read all of the posts here, but I would suggest to go for Component
or even @SuppressWarnings("unchecked"). This way, you don't have to use
generified components but are still able to do so. Currently, I am always
passing models as parameter to the constructor of my custom components.
Those parameters are always named according to the expected type they
contain (e.g. fooModel if i expect an object of type Foo in there).
Therefore, generics could jump in quite easily and I am looking forward to
use them!

-----
-------
Stefan Fußenegger