I'm using a DefaultDataTable and I want to get the index of the selected
item.  However the index always returns 0.  Is this by design?

                 new AbstractColumn(new Model("Test Label"))
                {
                        public void populateItem(Item item, String componentId,
IModel model)
                        {
                                int selectedIndex = item.getIndex();  //this
always returns 0;

However, with a dataView, I do get the item index:

                dataView = new DataView("dataview", dp)
                {
                        @Override
                        protected void populateItem(final Item item)
                        {
                                int selectedIndex = item.getIndex();
//increments by 1 with each
iteration.

I considered using a DataView instead of the DefaultDataTable, but the DDT
has the toolbars and such already nicely built in.  Looking at the code, it
seems like an Item in a DataView represents the entire row
whereas in the DataGridView from the DefaultDataTable, it represents a cell.
Is this why the behavior
is different?

Thanks very much.