Ah, yes, I thought I had checked those, but I must have missed the right
log.  The error messages are:

The catalina.log file contains:

INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
findResourceInternal
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load commons-logging.properties.  The eventual
following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the
illegal access, and has no functional impact.
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
findResourceInternal
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load
META-INF/services/org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.  The eventual
following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the
illegal access, and has no functional impact.
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load org.apache.log4j.Logger.  The eventual
following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the
illegal access, and has no functional impact.
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load java.util.logging.Logger.  The eventual
[...]
already.  Could not load org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog.  The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog.  The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
Jun 6, 2008 10:58:23 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy