> Ive been developing an ajax only application in wicket for a little more
> than 3 months. Users can open "windows" in a multidocument desktop-style
> fashion for various entities and in these "windows/tabs" perform different
> actions and apply different views. Further they can change views forth and
> back, close views, rearrange views. I almost NEVER do a page level GET/POST.
> The fun part is that its working really well. But Ive never seen something
> like this out on the web really (gmail/gcalendar ok.. but those are quite
> simple apps + they prolly got a big staff to tune every possible metric).
>
> Has anyone done something similar?

Sure. We (Teachscape) are doing something like that. Not all Ajax
(though we use that regularly as well), but we pretty much do
everything in one page and implement navigation through panel swapping
etc.

When using Wicket like this, it is best to use the
SecondLevelCacheSessionStore (the default in Wicket 1.3). Wicket 1.2
and the HttpSessionStore keep recording deltas - which are smaller
than serialized pages, but have enough versions and it adds up - as
long as you stay on one page. At least, that's how it used to be (and
one of the big refactorings of 1.3).

Eelco