Its not just wicket who expects serializable..
A webcontainer also expects every thing in the http session to be
serializeable and not just for clustering.. Also for restarts or the
container could flush idle session to disk to conserve memory.

And wicket only wants it if you use the diskpagestore so if you dont
use that then wicket doesnt really care