ok... that make sense to me.
The primary then should be <String, String> but maybe overload it so that nothing legacy breaks.

I think the <String, ?> will help, but I also think that being specific about what it holds is important... otherwise its trying to be "too smart" and I might get a string representation that I don't want... if it's explicitly <String, String> then you always know exactly what is going in/out.

IMO.

- Brill Pappin