Maybe my message caused misunderstandings. I was not complaining *that* the book costs money. I just was curious why doing it the "old-style" distribution way. Finally, Galileo-Computing also needs to make money to pay their book authors.

Personally, I prefer reading a paper book over reading on the display (I haven't had the chance to read something on an e-book-reader), but having an always-up-to-date online-version which allows fast searching is incredible helpful for small problems and hence targets a different use-case. No, the wiki is not an adequate alternative.

And yes, I have a rough idea about how much effort writing a book takes, because I wrote a >100-pages diploma thesis, an article in the German "Java Magazin" and we always have to maintain our help. No question, writing a book in a well understandable style is hard work.

--
Cheers,
Tom

Thomas Singer wrote:
Just curious: why don't you make the full e-book available for free and charge only for the paper version? This works fine with the German Java book "Java ist auch eine Insel" and many others from the same publisher:

 http://www.galileocomputing.de/openbook/javainsel7/

--
Cheers,
Tom