just some quick pros for wicket which helped us to make a decision
(someone please correct me if i'm wrong on any of these):

* wicket started from a professional background, ie people noticed
there is a reason to develop it because no available framework met
their needs

* the architecture is indeed better than anything i've seen in the
java web framework world for a long time, core and pure oo concepts
done right, and every dependency to a "third party" technology in
wicket core is seriously debated and only implemented if there really
is need for it.

* wicket has a lot of traction, it's just not as loud as GWT's, which
is quite understandable if you remind yourself what the G in GWT
stands for

* serious wicket applications: Dertour.de and connected domains...a
rather serious application, because of 2 things: load and
transactions. It's easy to build a shiny web2.0 thingy with nearly
every technology out there, but the real measurements are scalability
(load) and reliability (number and consistency of transactions).

in the end it boils down to the numbers, and wicket will help you
keeping them down, as it integrates very well with the whole JEE
world, be it spring, jpa, hibernate, ejb or whatnot. if used right
(which, btw, should be a disclaimer for all arguments regarding any
framework), it eases code maintenance and narrows the gap between
prototyping and production. but whatever you decide,  trust your gut
as an architect.

regards,
martin