Firstly, your code is rather strange. That getFoos() method is not part of
the List Interface API.

Two possible solutions:

The filter chain maybe incorrect in your web.xml. Your
OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter might not be preceding the Wicket filter.
Check that it does precede it.

If you have a deadline then I recommend having one query that retrieving
both foos and bars in one hit. I've never touched JPQL but in Hibernate
Query Language (HQL), one could write this:

"select f from Foo f inner join fetch f.boo b where b.id = :id"

Good luck,
James.