James, thanks for your reply. I've checked that my
OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter precedes the Wicket filter. And my debug log
indeed shows that it seems to be opening and closing the entity manager
before and after the wicket filter runs. I'm hoping to avoid the type of
query you suggest, but I'm realizing I may need to resort to it.

Julian