i would hate a user to look at a signup form without a signup button
because something inside it caused an error.

i would also hate to see a user at a checkout page with a missing
$500.00 discount amount shown because there was an error in the
discount label.

showing a "mostly" constructed page does not sound like a good idea to
me because you are opening pandora's box, unless of course, you can
anticipate and account for all possible ways in which a page can
break. but then again, like you said, as soon as you do it will find
another unexpected way to break.

-igor