Is This A Possible Approach

logger.debug(getPageMapEntry().getNumericId() + "");
                logger.debug(getCurrentVersionNumber() + "");
                sxiForm.add(new Link("backButton") {

                        @Override
                        public void onClick() {
                                // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                                setResponsePage(getPageMap().get(pageId,
pageVersion));
                        }

                });

Instead of passing the page, I passsed the page id and the page version.
That's what I used to retrieve the previous page?

Seems to work since session size remained at 60k
Before it would double in the 2nd page.